Sunday, July 28, 2013

365 Comics... 207: Uncanny X-Force #1 (2011)

I've heard nothing but good things about Rick Remender's run on Uncanny X-Force, but given that I know very little of Remender's work (save for a volume of Fear Agent which I've been meaning to read more of), plus I'm not a much of a mutant follower, and that there's not a single member of this I'm a big fan of I haven't had much impetus to read it beyond just curiosity.  I've kept an eye out for the trades in the remainder book shops (Remender book shops?) but they don't have much of a presence, which I guess means they're popular and they sell well.

I got the first ish back in March with Comixology's Marvel #1 project, and (along with about a dozen others) I've been sitting on them for no other reason than I have too much else to read and not enough time to read them all.  I think I have a problem.

Having now finally gotten to Uncanny X-Force #1, I am definitely impressed.  I still don't care much for the characters individually but  as an assembly they are an intriguing bunch with an interesting dynamic.  The story they're involved in has little resonance for me, but at the same time the story's tone - the special missions vibe - comes off well and is quite appealing.

What really sells it for me is Jerome Opena's widescreen art.  I was in awe of almost every panel of this book.  Exquisite, organic detail,  rich textures though lines and shading (you can practically feel the fabric on the costumes) and jest a wonderful sense of movement.  I don't know if I have seen Opena's work before but I'm an instant fan.  There's a European Heavy Metal vibe, like Serpieri only less sexually obsessed.  Gene Ha is a good American touchpoint but for as much as I like Ha's work Opena surpasses it (if only slightly) because of his composition.  Opena's sense of space, angles and "camera position" are just inspired, notable from the first page onward.  If I'm reading more of UXF, this is the reason why:

No comments: